If you like wine, you will love the activities, routes and fairs Zafiro Hotels have specially selected for wine lovers. Mallorca has about 70 local wine producers with two domination of origin regions; Binissalem and Pla i Llevant. Binissalem was the first to gain its DO back in 1993 and it is here where you can discover the wine traditions and some of the oldest wineries in Mallorca. Also, one of the liveliest and most well-known of the wine tours on the island can be found, on board the well-known Mallorca Wine Express train in Santa María, which we will go into detail later on. The” Wine routes" and visits to the wineries of Mallorca are growing in popularity every year amongst connoisseurs of fine wine and those who enjoy the Mediterranean pleasures. Thanks to the local wine producers who over the past few years have been opening their doors to the public offering visitors the opportunity to taste their wine and take guided tours of the winery. In fact, one of the most famous wine routes is the “Ruta del vi “sponsored by Binissalem DO where you can visit the wineries of the towns in the centre of the island like Santa Maria del Camí, Consell, Binissalem, Sencelles and Santa Eugenia. If you want to know more about this wine route, then read on!
“Ruta del vi” sponsored by Binissalem DO
This is the famous wine route of Binissalem, which we mentioned earlier, when you can taste several of the best wines produced in Mallorca, visit the best wineries and taste typical Mallorcan products. There are fourteen wineries which take part in this wine route sponsored by the DO Binissalem which passes through the central towns of Mallorca
- Vins Nadal: this winery located in Binissalem, home to the lively wine celebrations in September, and produces Albaflor wines, Merlot, Cabernet and Syrah
- José Luis Ferrer: a family winery, famous for its wines made with Mantonegro, Callet and Moll grapes.
- Bodegas Antonio Nadal: winery founded in 1968, which produces wines with grapes grown in its 27 hectares of vineyards
- Biniagual winery: an organic winery, producing wines that satisfy even the most demanding palates.
- Tianna Negre: winery founded in 2007 that produces the red, white and rose wines of Ses Nines and Randemar.
- Macià Batle: A winery with modern installations, quality wines, widely exported, and winners of numerous awards. An interesting fact is that each year a local artist is picked to design the label for a special edition
- Celler Ramanya: this is a small traditional winery using the latest technologies, innovations and high-quality barrels in the production of its wines.
- Celler Can Ramis: this winery produces several wines from Mantonegro, Callet and Syrah grapes.
- Celler Sebastià Pastor: hand-picked Mantonegro and Moll grapes, grown on the outskirts of Santa María, a village in the interior of the island, giving a unique flavour to the wines of this winery.
- Jaume de Puntiró: a certified organic wine producer, using native grape varieties such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Syrah, Merlot and Moscatel.
- Vinya Taujana: located in the town of Santa Eugènia.
- Celler Ca Sa Padrina: this winery founded in 1999 with the aim of perfecting the traditional Mallorca wines is in Sencelles the winery produces the aromatic and elegant Mantonegro Gonzalez-Suner red and the white Mollet Gonzalez-Suner.
- Jaume Bennassar: this winery only admits arranged visits or with prior reservation. But in the Restaurant "Orient" owned by Jaume Bennassar you can enjoy his best wines.
- Can Verdura Viticultors: this winery located in Binissalem founded in 2012, is characterized by its fresh and youthful nature when it comes to producing its wines.
The wine fair in Pollensa
This fair is set in the elegant claustro of Sant Domingo in Pollensa and is the perfect opportunity to discover and taste some of the best Mallorcan wines. The aim of the fair to promote the delicious wines of Mallorca and many of the local wine producers who attend this fair offer special prices and discounts during the event. More than half of the 70 wineries that can be found in Mallorca take part in this wine fair giving professionals, demanding palates, foodies and fans the chance to taste their wines and products.
The Wine Fair in Binissalem
Binissalem, known as the "wine capital" in Mallorca, was given the recognition of DO in 1993 to which it gives it name and it shares with five wine making municipalities. In this traditional Mallorcan town you can enjoy the winemaking tradition of the region and the fairs and typical routes of this important wine tourism area. Here at Zafiro Hotels we would like to recommend that you take a tour round its wineries, enjoy the tastings and the guided tours that you can book in advance. Of course, if you go on a wine tour, be sure to end up in Binissalem as it really is the best area for wine lovers and for those with very discriminating palates can taste some of the best local wines. One of the most important festivals of Binissalem is La Vendimia, which is celebrated at the end of September. During these celebrations of the grape harvest known as the Festa des Vermar, there are all types of cultural and sporting activities such as the dance of the giants, parades of floats, exhibitions, wine tasting, grape treading, outdoor dinners and lunches where visitors and locals alike celebrate the collection of the grape with the desire for good wine. The star of this dinners and lunches is fideus vermar or grape harvest noodles, a very old and tasty recipe made from lamb broth and noodles. If you are lucky enough to go to the festival that don´t let the chance to try them pass you by, they are delicious!
Mallorca Wine Express Tour
This gourmet experience is quite an adventure, this tour takes place on a charming little train that runs through the best wineries in the region, Macia Batle winery is the start and end of the Mallorca Wine Express. On this tour, you can taste the best wines from each winery accompanied by typical Mediterranean and Mallorcan products such as Jabugo ham, cured cheeses, Mallorcan sobrasada, coca de trampó and much more. This fun tour runs on Mondays and Thursdays at 3:30 p.m. and lasts 4 hours. In addition, children are more than welcome on this excursion, with free access for children under five, and for children under eighteen the price is only € 5 or € 10, depending on the age. Adults can indulge themselves with this gourmet experience for only € 49 per person Finally, we would like to give you one last piece of advice is that in addition to the wine tours, fairs and wine tastings, there is one more thing that all lovers of fine wine should do when visiting Mallorca and that is to taste the Mallorcan wines in the restaurants, terraces and bars of Mallorca.
Drinking good wine with good food in good company is one of life’s most civilized pleasures.