Mahon, atmosphere and relaxation in equal parts
Mahon is the capital of Menorca and its most important city with more than 29,000 inhabitants. The port of Mahón is considered to be one of the best natural harbours in the world stretching 5km inland! Menorca is paradise thanks to the magic of the interior of island, to the buildings that respect the environment and surroundings, the relaxed but yet full of life Menorcan atmosphere and its coastline with stunning beaches and coves, which every year attracts hundreds of tourists and within this paradise lies Mahón one of the most emblematic cities of Menorca, and no holiday in Menorca would be complete without a visit to Mahon. The old part of Maó, as you would say in Mallorquin, has some beautifully preserved historic buildings, museums, markets, a labyrinth of streets to discover and some fantastic viewpoints of the port.
What to see in Mahon? In Mahon, there are an endless number of things to see, emblematic points, streets, terraces, charming spots and activities to make the most of every minute of the day.at Zafiro Hotels we have made a small selection of the most interesting places and the must-see spots for all those who are intending to visit the capital of Menorca.
- Port of Mahon: almost 6 km in length, 1200m wide and a depth of up to 30 meters the port of Mahon is considered the largest natural port in the Mediterranean and the second deepest in the world, whilst on holiday in Menorca it is worth spending a day visiting this very special port.
- La Mola Fortaleza: it is one of the largest European fortifications of the 19th century, and is located at the entrance to the port. The work began on it in 1847, with the objective of defending the city against a British invasion. It has now become a symbol of the cultural heritage of the island. A visit to La Mola is a unique tour of more than two hours through its walls and underground passages. It's an emblematic monument of the city from where you can enjoy incredible views of the sea.
- Museum of Menorca: located in an old 17th century monastery this famous museum displaying a wealth of archaeological, historical and ethnology artefacts charting the island ´s history with many objects on display from the Talaitic period on the island.
- Stroll the streets to the Town Hall: after touring the streets of Mahon and discovering all its hidden corners by yourself, go to the Plaça de la Constitució, where you will find the Town Hall, also known as Sa Sala, the town hall clock was brought from England by the then British Governor Richard Kane. The area around the plaça de la constitució is brimming with life and is lovely to have a stroll around.
- The Bastion of Sant Roc: The gate of San Roc was built around the year 1359. With the intention to making a gateway connecting the city and the rest of the population. It is the only remains the medieval wall left that once surrounded the town.
- Church of Santa Maria: located in the heart of Mahón, a solid silhouette finished off with a belfry, which defines the city's skyline. Inside the church there is a gem a very beautiful, big ornate organ built between 1807 and 1810 by the swiss organ manufacturer Juan Kyburz.
Places to visit near Mahon
In addition to the wonders that can be found within the city, very close to Mahon you can visit el fuerte de Marlborough in Es Castell, and Talaitic remains of Talatí de Dalt, with its taula (a Talaitic T-shaped ceremonial monument) dated around 1300 B.C. and several talayots (Tower-shaped megalithic monument) are just three kilometres from Mahon. If you like nature and enjoy natural landscapes and you want to do an excursion then you cannot afford to miss the Nature Park S'Albufera des Grau, the Cabo de Favàritx and the island of Colom, which form part of the biosphere reserve of Menorca.
Ciutadella, is also one those not to missed places if you're on holiday in Menorca
A city full of life with pristine beaches, charming streets and an endless leisure options such as terraces, restaurant and activities to enjoy each day to the fullest.
Where to stay in Menorca? Menorca has become one of the most important tourist destinations, its beaches and its tourist accommodation make this little piece of paradise a perfect choice for a holiday with friends, partner or family. If you are thinking of a holiday in Menorca, the best area to stay is Ciutadella it is here you will find the best coves and beaches and you can enjoy the best atmosphere of the island. it is also the perfect point from which to discover the rest of the island. However, you want to avoid spending a day in the car then Ciutadella is the best area to stay during your holiday in Menorca as there so much to do and see on your doorstep.
From Zafiro Hotels we recommend our hotel Zafiro Menorca in Ciutadella just a few minutes’ walk from the lovely beach of Cala Bosch, an excellent place to spend an unforgettable holiday on the island of Menorca. This hotel complex has 164 apartments and studios all recently renovated so that each one of the apartments is a place of elegance and relaxation with all the services our guests needs to enjoy their holiday at Zafiro Menorca and of course all of the apartments have a living room and kitchen. This hotel was designed so that both adults and children alike can enjoy every minute of their stay with us.
Zafiro Hotels specialise in family tourism and therefore offer an endless number of activities and options so that families can enjoy both family time as well moments of relaxation and a chance to disconnect. What’s more the children will have a great ball, during the day there is pool with pirate ship and slides and at sunset they can dance and laugh in the mini-disco with our mascot Bufo meanwhile, adults can enjoy indoor and outdoor pools with adults only zones, sauna, jacuzzi and the gastronomic delights of our restaurants.