There are a thousand reasons why Cala Galdana is a true paradise for families wishing to enjoy a safe and fun-filled holiday. Located only half an hour's drive from our Zafiro Menorca, this Mediterranean gem combines natural beauty with all imaginable service and amenities. This has made it worthy of the title as Menorca’s best beach for children. Below we outline all the reasons why it's one of our favourites... but we also recommend that you don't miss out on these five hidden coves on Menorca.
Table of contents
Cala Galdana, the children’s beach on Menorca
- Where is Cala Galdana?
- How to get to Cala Galdana?
- Safe and secure for children to enjoy
- Activities for the entire family
- Bars and restaurants for all tastes
- Large stretch of sand
- Boat trips from Cala Galdana
What to see near Cala Galdana
- The Sa Punta Viewpoint
- Cala Mitjana
- Playa de Santo Tomás
- Cala Macarella and cala Macarelleta
- Cala Turqueta
Cala Galdana, the children's beach on Menorca
With its white sand and turquoise waters, Cala Galdana is one of those paradisiacal postcard beaches where we’d all like to stay forever, and one of the must-visit beaches during a Menorcan getaway. It's the perfect place to relax and rest in peace and quiet by the Mediterranean Sea. But the best this beach has to offer doesn't end there, there’s a lot more to it! One of its great advantages is that it's one of the most comfortable places to go if you're travelling to Menorca with children. Why?
Where is Cala Galdana?
Cala Galdana offers a privileged location, in the centre of the island about 7 km from Ferrerias and about 20 km from Ciutadella and some 35 km from Mahón. This makes it the ideal choice for families with children staying near either of these two great capitals of Menorca.
How to get to Cala Galdana?
Getting to Cala Galdana by car is very easy. It’s also easy to get to the beach from the parking area, which means you won’t have to walk too far carrying everything you need for the day. If you're staying at Zafiro Menorca, just take the Me-24 towards Ciutadella, and before you get to the very centre, take the road that leads to Mahón (Me-1). After 13 km, near Ferrerias, take the bypass to the Me-22 and continue along that road for some 6 km, until you get to the Cala Mitjana car park. There you take the exit from Avenida de Sa Punta towards Plaça des Canaló. This journey takes about half an hour by car.
Safe and secure for your children to enjoy
The turquoise waters are, besides very beautiful, very quiet. Even on windy days the cove hardly features any waves at all, as it's protected by high cliffs. The water is also very shallow. This makes it an ideal beach for younger children, who can safely bathe and play along the entire sandy shoreline. To further add to its safety, and because it's one of the most famous and popular beaches on Menorca, Cala Galdana has a lifeguard service during high season.
Activities for the entire family
If you're travelling with children, you always have to keep them in mind when planning things to do and activities to enjoy during your holiday. At Cala Galdana you'll have all kinds of options, from kayaking routes for the whole family to water skiing, snorkelling or paddle surfing. There are a lot of places along the beach where you can rent a board, or perhaps even a small boat to sail along Menorca's southern coastline.
Bars and restaurants for all tastes
Another great advantage with Cala Galdana is that near the sandy beach there are numerous bars, beach bars and restaurants where you can enjoy a meal with your family or just have a drink. There is something here for everyone, from tapas and fast food to international fare, or more traditional restaurants where you can enjoy typical Menorcan food.
Large stretch of sand
The beach is nearly 400 metres long and 40 metres wide, making Cala Galdana one of the largest beaches on Menorca. Even if it's located in a residential area, it retains its natural charm, surrounded by pine trees and with very fine, light sand – ideal to lie on for hours.
Boat trips from Cala Galdana
One of the most popular activities in the area is to go sailing and enjoy the beauty of Menorca from the sea. There’s a lot to choose from if you book a boat trip from Cala Galdana, depending on the boat charter company you decide to use. Some of them offer excursions aboard a ‘llaüt’, the traditional boat of the Balearic Islands – with an aperitif or meal aboard – or perhaps a boat trip that takes you on a route to visit different coves dotted along the south coast of Menorca.
What to see near Cala Galdana
If all those reasons weren't enough to convince you, this great Menorcan family beach is also one of the best places to go if you want to discover some of the most beautiful spots the island has to offer.
- The Sa Punta viewpoint Also known as the Cala Galdana viewpoint, this is a great location if you want to take in the view of Santa Galdana Bay and the beauty of Menorca's south coast.
- Cala Mitjana A beautiful cove, smaller than Cala Galdana, but only a one-kilometre walk away. It's definitely worth a visit, very quiet and practically unspoilt.
- Playa de Santo Tomás This is another great beach on Menorca, both in terms of size (500 m), but also because the beach is part of the village by the same name, offering all kinds of services, amenities and even a children's playground. It's located just past Cala Mitjana and Cala Trebalúger.
- Cala Macarella and Cala Macarelleta These two coves are among the most unspoiled and charming you can find on the island, together considered one of the best beaches on Menorca. To get to them you have to walk some two kilometres from Cala Galdana, in the opposite direction to Cala Mitjana, but the path is quite easy to walk, even for children (unless they are very young).
- Cala Turqueta Many agree that this is the most beautiful cove on Menorca, and it really is a natural paradise, surrounded by Mediterranean pine trees, rocky outcrops, and white sand contrasting against crystal-clear water. The turquoise colour of the water is also what gives the cove its name. The walk here is longer, around four kilometres, and more demanding.
Just like Cala Galdana, Menorca itself is an island full of beautiful places to visit that are very accessible – even when travelling with children. If you're looking for the perfect destination for your family holiday on Menorca, make sure you visit our website and check out the section with hotel offers on Menorca. Remember that if you book with us you'll enjoy special advantages to let you experience dreamy days in paradise: the Mediterranean awaits!