There are endless things to see and do in Ciutadella/Ciudadela, a port city that offers nautical charm, narrow streets filled with history and a welcoming atmosphere. It’s a small town with plenty of high-quality services concentrated to its old town, making Ciudadela an ideal destination for a holiday as a couple, with children or with friends, since there is always something for every taste.
Table of contents
- Ciudadela, Menorca: what to see
- Things to do in the centre of Ciudadela
- Best beaches and coves near Ciudadela
- A holiday in Ciudadela
Ciudadela, Menorca: what to see
Ciutadella was the capital of Menorca up until 1714, when the British Empire occupied the island and moved the administrative centre to Mahón. The town still features some characteristic, imposing buildings from its time as capital, as well as a unique medieval charm that makes this town stand out among others in the Mediterranean.
Things to do in the centre of Ciudadela
Just a stroll through the historic centre is an experience: visit the port or enjoy a coffee in one of the many cafés with outdoor seating to get a feeling for the very essence of Ciutadela. These are five essential things to see and do during your stay:
Plaça des Born
The main square in Ciutadella is the Plaza del Borne. This is where you find the great Gothic-style building that houses Ciutadella City Hall, but there are also other beautiful buildings here from times past. Two that really stand out are the enormous palace Torre-Saura and the Salort Palace. This square also serves as a regular meeting point for locals, with restaurants and cafés where you can stop for a drink and a snack.
Puerto de Ciutadella
The port of Ciutadella is one of the historic ports of the Balearic Islands, located just a few steps from Plaça des Born. It’s small and full of charm from days past – the port of Ciutadella is nothing like the great port of Mahón. Even if this is still a fishing and commercial port, the vessels that frequent it are mostly classic boats, typical for the Balearic Islands, and pleasure boats. The scenery here at night is well worth a photo.
The cathedral Santa María de Ciutadella
One of the most impressive historical buildings in Ciutadella is the cathedral, considered to be the most important church on Menorca. Its beautiful, impressive façade immediately stands out to all visitors.
The convent Sant Agustí
One of these must-see places in Ciutadella is the convent Sant Agustí, also known as El Socorro (El Socors). The cloister is an architectural gem that takes you straight back to the colonial era, all pristine white and featuring a delightful garden. In the rooms that are directly connected with the cloister you can visit different exhibitions from the convent's museum collection.
The castle Sant Nicolau
The castle is a defence tower, an octagon building from the 18th century. It's built from sandstone (the traditional building material of the Balearics) and its sea views – just where the port of Ciutadella opens up to the sea – are nothing but spectacular.
The best beaches and coves near Ciudadela
- Cala en Blanes: a tiny cove with all kinds of services. The seabed is made up of rocks and the water is transparent.
- Cala en Brut: a spectacular rocky beach. A stretch of turquoise water that juts inland with cliffs of varying heights on both sides that are perfect for jumping into the sea.
- Cala en Forcat: a very small cove, basically only rocks. Stands out because of its crystal-clear water and easy access.
- Playa de Sa Farola: located just metres from the port of Ciutadella, this is a really pretty rocky cove, again featuring cliffs that people use to launch themselves into the water.
- Cala des Frares: a cove with a sliver of sandy beach and plenty of low cliffs. Offers turquoise water and a location very near the port of Ciutadella.
- Playa Gran: this place might as well be called Ciutadella Beach. It's a beach with all kinds of services, such as showers, a playground for kids and even a small outdoor climbing wall.
A holiday in Ciudadela
If you have been planning a visit to Ciutadella and are looking forward to discover the appeal of this historic town, make sure you visit the Zafiro Hotels website to find out more about special offers on hotels in Ciudadela, such as packages that can be personalised with flights + hotels on Menorca and all kinds of conveniences and activities to try at the destination. Choose the option that interests you the most and start counting down the days left until you get to enjoy Ciutadella.