Welcome to the Zafiro Hotels kitchen! This time around we present a new and original Peruvian dish which is popular all over the world: ceviche. Ceviche mainly consists of meat or fish marinated in citrus dressings, and can be made with whatever fish you like best. In Peru, the dish is considered part of the country’s cultural heritage and is undoubtedly one of its most traditional dishes.
You will find this refreshing dish on the new menu in the Tastes & Sushi Bar restaurant in our Palace hotels. The Head Chef of our new 5-star Zafiro Palace Andratx Hotel, Jan Rene Brack, explains in this video the ingredients that are in it and how it should be prepared. We hope you like it!
- 1 lb Sea Bass (clean filet cut in small cubes)
- 3 pieces Red onion (julienne and rinsed)
- Juice of 8 limes
- 3 Tbsp ginger (minced or pureed)
- 3 Tbsp Green celery stalk ( minced or pureed)
- Salt and white pepper to taste
- 3 Tbsp Red chili's or ají limo* (minced)
- 2Tbsp Ají amarillo paste*
- 1 cup maíz cancha* (Fried, optional)
- 4 Sweet potatoes (cooked and peeled)
- 2 cups Choclo grains* Peruvian corn (cooked)
- 4 leaves of green leaf lettuce for garnish
- 2 ice cubes
*Available in specialty stores or online stores
- In a cold bowl (previously refrigerated for 20 min) add the fish, salt, pepper, red chili's, the 2 ice cubes (so the fish will always stay fresh and cold) and mix well.
- Add the Ginger, celery pureé and the lime juice, and mix well for one minute.
- When the fish begins to change its colour, taste and adjust the salt (the fish will start to cook slowly because of the lime juice it will start to turn to a soft white color). The resulting juice is known as "Leche de tigre" (Tiger milk).
- Take out the ice cubes, and add the chopped cilantro and the red onion previously washed, mix well and set aside for 5 min.
- Serve the Ceviche on a plate, garnish with the sweet potato, choclo grains, maiz cancha and the lettuce leaves.